“Everyone is on a spiritual path; most people just don’t know it.” Marianne Williamson
Identifying your spiritual path is probably the most challenging endeavor you’ll take on, but so worthwhile. The greatest stumbling block to my own spirituality was self-centeredness, and I don’t hold the market on this; we are basically a self-centered society. How do we recognize this and star to move beyond it?
There is a difference between being ‘selfish’ and ‘self-ish’. The former in its extreme, is narcissistic, putting oneself first, no matter the cost to others – a self focused life. Being self-ish, on the other hand, is learning how to care for ourselves. How can we care for others if we do not care for ourselves?
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Take extraordinary care of yourself.
- Do you eat in a manner that is conducive to good health?
- Are you exercising on a regular basis?
- Do you take time to pray and meditate?
- Are you getting enough sleep?
- Eliminate stress in your life.
- Is your job a source of high stress? What can you do to relieve some of it?
- Is your home a safe and comforting refuge? If not, what can you do to change that?
- Do you engage in mindless activity? What hobbies or sports do you enjoy?
- Are you surrounded by energizing people? Are your relationships draining you?
If you would like some help to look at any of these areas, please contact me for a complimentary session. And please share your successes and challenges on developing ‘self-ish’ good habits!